|News Forum ..::.. Biography Work Eugene Cares Links ..::.. Media Site Info|
"Maybe we'll see sailfish...jumping...and flying across the magnificent orb of a setting sun..."
________ February 2, 2015
Well, my friends! Nine years and it's time for an update! With a deep and gracious bow to my webhost, I'm packing up this fansite and moving to Weebly. Won't you join me?
Bubbe Made a Kishka (2.0!) > madeakishka.weebly.com
"Schitt's Creek:" Eugene, Dan, and Catherine...great news for Canada!
________ February 18, 2014
Pilot photo from globalnews.ca
As if I need more reason to move to Canada: Eugene, along with son Dan, has started a Toronto-based production company called Not A Real Company Productions Inc. And their first project? A half-hour comedy series called "Schitt's Creek," that will star Eugene, Dan, Catherine O'Hara, and Chris Elliott. Can you handle the excitement???!
From the CBC.ca press release:
When video store billionaire Johnny Rose (Eugene Levy), his soap star wife Moira (Catherine O'Hara) and their two kids, über hipster son David (Dan Levy) and socialite daughter Alexis suddenly find themselves broke, they are forced to leave their pampered lives to regroup and rebuild their empire from within the rural city limits of their only remaining asset - Schitt's Creek, an arm pit of a town they once bought as a joke.
"I'm just so proud to be doing this show back here in Canada," said Eugene Levy. "And I can't say enough about the support and encouragement we've received from the CBC. I'm also really excited to be working once again with my dear friend Catherine O'Hara. Catherine and I go back a long way to SCTV and I don't think I've worked with anyone more times in my career. She's an incredible talent. As is Chris Elliott. I've been a fan of Chris's since he was on the Letterman show. I don't think Schitt's Creek could have a more appropriate mayor. And I have to say it's been a kick working with my son Dan. He's been a great partner and an amazing show runner."
Filming starts in Ontario this spring, and the show is marketed with a Winter 2015 broadcast date. Thirteen episode have been ordered.
- Official Facebook page
- Official Twitter page
Updates and a happy new year to you!
________ December 27, 2013
Hi all! Here's some info on recent and upcoming projects for Eugene:
- A possible role in 2014's She's Funny That Way/Squirrel to Nuts
- Canadian Fim Centre Board of Directors and Promo
- 3-episode guest spot on Canada's Package Deal
- Voicing Dory's dad in 2016's Finding Dory
- Guest spot on Andrea Martin's new Canadian NBC sitcom Working the Engels, which will also star his daughter Sarah
- "Whatever Your Name Is," a fabulous and very appropriate Funny or Die video starring Eugene and Sarah
- A new SCTV-like show in the works?
- Interview from The Guardian on documentary filming style and the US vs. UK's Offices
Mentorship update and interview, Strombo apperance tomorrow, and Twitter
________ August 26, 2012
Hope your summer's wrapping up nicely!
- Globe and Mail sat down with Eugene and his latest mentoree for the Film Lab, Daniel Perlmutter. Check out the interview and video clip here.
- Eugene will be a guest tomorrow (Monday, 8/27) on George Stroumboulopoulos (CBC). Last time, they posted the interview online shortly after, so I'm guessing that'll happen again.
- Despite what Eugene has said in earlier months about the silliness of Twitter, it appears he's set up a Twitter page. It hasn't been authenticated by Twitter and there aren't many posts, but it seems pretty legit.
Garber's opening night and Guest's new HBO project
________ August 16, 2012
- Eugene, along with other celebrity friends, visited opening night of Victor Garber's stint on 54 Below. There's another performance on Monday, August 20 at 7 PM.
- Exciting news from Christopher Guest!! HBO (and BBC2 in the UK) will be airing about eight episodes of the Karen Murphy-produced show, "Family Tree." It'll star Chris O'Dowd, the enjoyable "nice guy" from Bridesmaids. The synopsis:
"Written and created by Guest and frequent collaborator Jim Piddock and to be be directed by Guest, Family Tree is a documentary-style comedy in the style of Christopher Guest’s films, which follows the world and journey of 30-year-old Tom Chadwick (O’Dowd). Having recently lost his job and girlfriend, Tom has a rather unsure sense of his own identity. But when he inherits a mysterious box of belongings from a great aunt that he never met, he starts investigating his family lineage and uncovers a whole world of unusual stories and characters and a growing sense of who he is and who his real family are. Like he does with his movies, Guest will appear on the show along with Piddock..."
No word on when the show premieres. More info on "Family Tree" here:
- Deadline / Hollywood
Witness Protection interviews and promos
________ July 1, 2012
- Eugene's appearance on MSNBC's "Morning Joe"
- Appearance on The Rhode Show
- Interview with the Witness cast from shockya.com
- Interview on TODAY
- Interview with Eugene from NPR, includes this bit:
"Believe me, I've done movies that are just the lowest of the low. I've done movies that are really done without a hell of a lot of intelligence going on. But for me, doing what I do in the movie, if I do it with as much intelligence as I can muster — I mean, cheap is cheap and funny is funny — but if I can make him credible in my own mind, then I'm making him credible to other people, and that's as good as I can do."
Witness Protection is officially out in theaters!
Witness Protection out this week, Reunion interviews, and (lack of) Guest updates
________ June 24, 2012
-What a quick turn-around...filming started in March, and Tyler Perry's Madea's Witness Protection is out in theatres this week, Friday, June 29th! Watch a live-stream of the red carpet premiere on BET.com tomorrow, Monday the 25th at 6:30 pm EST.
UPDATE: Eugene will ring the Opening Bell for NASDAQ in NYC, around 9 AM on Tuesday, June 26th! Details from MarketWatch.
Recent interview on "CBS This Morning:"
-On May 22nd, Eugene spoke at the commencement for graduates of Canada's Dalhousie University, from where his daughter graduated a few years back. A review from Herald News here.
-Eugene will mentor Toronto-based writer and filmmaker Daniel Perlmutter as part of the 2012 Governor General's Performing Arts Awards Mentorship Program. More details from OttawaStart here.
-Amongst the myriad of pre-American Reunion interviews done (including interviews from Movies Ireland, Dublin's 98FM, and The Guardian), one from Movie Fanatic asked the following:
Now that this reunion is over, will there be any reunion anytime soon of the Christopher Guest troupe in a new full-length film comedy?
“Well, we had a little reunion at the Oscars,” Levy proudly states. “But, to answer that question, there’s nothing on the horizon. We really didn’t want to do another movie that’s a cookie-cutter movie, where you’ve got the same kind of style, but you just change the subject. Everybody is doing that fake documentary style now. Even TV shows are using that fake documentary style. So, there’s nothing novel about that, anymore. And we haven’t really hit on an idea that moves us and that we both agree on, but we’re always talking.”
Things are at a stand-still with the Guest crew, sounds like. *sigh*
-A great Studio Q appearance.
-And in case you missed it, you can watch Eugene's awesome Passover visit to "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" thanks to a link from Jewcy.
Academy Awards cameo, Gilda, Tyler Perry casting, and movie updates
________ March 9, 2012
Eugene and many from the Guest crew starred as focus group members for "The Wizard of Oz" in this fantastic video from this year's Academy Awards.
It's been announced that Eugene will star in the Tyler Perry movie, Madea's Witness Protection, currently being filmed in Atlanta, GA. "Levy will play a man who, after his investment company goes belly up due to embezzling, is put in witness protection with his family, which is forced to move from a wealthy Connecticut neighborhood to Madea's home in the South." More below:
- Hollywood Reporter
Eugene participated once more in the annual "It's Always Something" benefit for Gilda's Club, as well as the premiere of a new run of "Godspell," the show that originally brought Eugene and Gilda together.
- Broadway World
Goon is released in U.S. theaters on March 30th. More below:
- PCU in Portage
- Pics from the movie's NY premiere
- Interview with star Liev Schreiber
- Risque movie posters cause controversy!
- Interview with director Michael Dowse
- Tops Canadian box office opening weekend
- Interview with star Seann William Scott (lots of Eugene talk!)
- Interview with Jay Baruchel
American Reunion is released in the U.S. on April 6th.
- Good times at the Australian premiere: pics and info from UKPA, The Sun, and Celebrity-Gossip.net.
- Sign the petition for an SCTV statue in Edmonton! No, really!
UPDATE: A Melbourne radio station posted a great interview with Eugene Levy (and singer Pieta Brown); they discuss the 'American' series, improv acting, and Eugene's secret wish to be a rock star. A nice listen!
Check out the News Archive for past info!
This site is in no way affiliated with Eugene Levy, his management, or respective collaborating companies.
All original content copyright 2006-2014 Jenny V. All other content copyright its respective owners. See Site Info for credits.